The origin of the Woods of Windsor brand comes from a small apothecary located in the shadow of Windsor Castle. This local apothecary served not only the townsfolk of Windsor, but also the Royal family and its distinguished visitors.
A pharmacy existed on the same site for over two centuries, and during renovations in the 1970s, a veritable treasure trove of old texts, prescription books and medical artefacts was discovered. Notable among these amazing finds was a collection of historic fragrance recipes which made use of natural, traditional flowers and ingredients the apothecary would have found in an eighteenth century English garden.
These finds inspired a revival of the Woods of Windsor name, and using the same traditional, natural recipes, a new range of classic fragrances was created, launching a brand that has been loved by generations of women and men over four decades. So well regarded were these products that in just a few years, Woods of Windsor was in demand at Harrods and Liberty.
In 1981, to expand the appeal further, Woods of Windsor launched their first gentlemen's collection, inspired by a formulation that was originally used to fragrance Spanish leather. An 1850 etching of Windsor Castle was adopted as our brand logo to reflect the heritage of the business. In 1983, we won the Queen's Award for Export, and by 1985 Woods of Windsor was exporting to 40 countries worldwide.
Today, Woods of Windsor continues this proud heritage, building on our worldwide reputation for producing high quality, fragranced bath, body and home products with natural ingredients. That original apothecary in Windsor is still the company's flagship store and headquarters, where customers are welcome to visit and sample the magic of our Woods of Windsor heritage.